Online Etsy Sales

11:44 AM


I started a new greeting card design the other day. 


This is it, almost done.


I used this bird cage that my friends gave me a few years ago as inspiration. I recently planted some hens and chicks in it. I'm not really sure if I'm happy with the card. I might re-do it. 

Missing Old Etsy. This is a screen shot from October 2008. I miss seeing the Front Page. I used to find so many cool new things. And when my item was featured I get hundreds of views and usually a few sales. 

I've been doing that a lot recently, second guessing myself and my work. I've been having a lot of feelings of not being good enough, lately. I think it's a normal though process to have when you making a living as an illustrator/artist. Especially when business slows down, and wow, Etsy has slowed down for me significantly.

They recently changed their stats and before I'd receive between 150-200 views a day, or more. Recently I've been receiving an average of 30 view a day. The traffic to my shop has stopped. I don't know if it's because they've weeded out search bots, or if their search has changed. Maybe my search engine optimization is really bad?

Another oldie from 2008 I made this one! :)

I feel like I'm getting buried under thousands of other shops. It's discouraging and disappointing. I've been working on my Etsy shop for 10+ years. All that work. Nothing.  I feel like somehow older shops don't get the traffic that newer shops do. I can't prove this, but I do know some other very well established shops that have seen a huge decrease in traffic too. 

I'd love to invest more time and money into this site, to make it a commerce site, but I just don't have very much of either right now. And building up traffic to your own site is no easy feat. 

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. I think focusing on doing more craft fairs, farmer's markets and really working on my wholesale business are the best bets right now. I'm going to also try to stay positive, and try not to be so hard on myself. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. hi Michelle! i was just toodling around pinterest and found an image of your i'd pinned several years back and thought, "i wonder what this artist is up to now?" -- funny i happened to check in when you'd just posted this. i feel the same way, too, i really miss the old etsy and have found both of my shops (my art shop and my vintage paperie shop) significantly slower over the past several years, and especially recently. i thought it was me! i was even paying for "ads" at one point which didn't make that much difference. i think etsy is just glutted with too much stuff, unfortunately. anyhow, i wanted to say that your work is wonderful and please don't take etsy slowness as an indicator of your worth. keep up the great work! -Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts