Chronic Pain

2:15 PM



I'll be 36 this year. I thought I would have a lot more time before I had to deal with chronic pain. It turns out that I was wrong about that. My mom has been dealing with chronic pain for over a decade now, so I knew it was inevitable. I just thought I would have at least another decade before it hit me. 

I've been dealing with this back ache for well over a month. I finally was able to see a chiropractor. He did a few stretching tests and diagnosed me with Joint Hyper Mobility. Basically, my muscles and joints are very flexible, which isn't a bad thing. It does mean that the muscles that are supposed to protect and support my joints are to lax to do their job. So, in turn, I end up getting injured very easily. Also, it means that I am more prone to joint aches and pains.

I didn't think much about this until I got home later that day. Suddenly it all made sense to me as to why I hurt myself with running so much. It also makes more sense to me as to why it takes me so long to heal from my injuries. This is mostly due to the fact that while stretching to rid yourself of injuries is great for most people, it can be detrimental to my injuries. 

It also explains why in yoga class, when the instructor told us we should be feeling a tremendous stretch along the back of our legs, I felt nothing. So I would push harder. Ultimately, I think, pushing my joints and muscles too far. 

The chiropractor dude informed me that this is really nothing to worry about. He said he would help me achieve any sport activity I wanted to do, even if it included training for a cross fit competition. I'm going to hold him to that, because one of the exercises that is not good for me is running. And that right there has me really bummed out. 

I think there will be a lot of muscle strengthening work ahead of me right now. I'm also hoping he can show me new ways to stretch, and of course I really hope he can help me with my back. It was a tough morning. Hoping for the best.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Joint pain is a common pain in the world, different people suffer from this pain, many clinics are open for the treatment of people, different medicines are present in the market to give relief people from pain, Physiotherapy North Ryde plays an important role in make of relief.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts